Monday, September 24, 2012

German Idioms related to "Stooopid People"

I'm rather fond of these German idioms used to describe dumb people. Maybe because of the images they conjure up in my mind or maybe because they are a little different from the English equivalents.

Next time you are practicing your German why not throw in one of these to the mix to earn some Brownie points? My problem is that I can ONLY speak in idioms because I haven't learnt anything else in the language yet!

Anyway - here is my list of stooopid idioms:

Cartoon by Cartertoons

"Dumm wie Bohnenstroh sein" 
As dumb as a bundle of bean straw
(thick as two short planks)

"Sie hat nicht alle Tassen im Schrank"
She doesn't have all her cups in the cupboard
(she's not all there)

Die dümmsten Bauern ernten die dicksten Kartoffeln
The most stupid farmers harvest the biggest potatoes 
(dumb people are often very lucky)

Das Ei will klüger sein als die Henne
The egg wants to be smarter than the hen

No comments:

Post a Comment